If you suspect that your child has dyslexia you should:
- Contact the child’s teacher/school, which may agree that a problem exists.
- Have the child’s hearing and sight tested to ensure that there are no acuity problems.
You should arrange for an Educational Psychology Assessment with a qualified educational psychologist. This can be done in a numbers of ways.
- Through NEPS – National Educational Psychology Service. This is done through the school. Each school has a limited number of free assessments each year through NEPS. Because of the limited number of free assessments only the children with the most severe problems are assessed.
- The Dyslexia Association of Ireland arranges Educational Psychology Assessments at our national office in Dublin. This is not a free service Details can be found on their website http://www.dyslexia.ie
- There are also many independent private educational psychologists, throughout the country. A list of registered psychologists can be obtained from the Psychological Society of Ireland’s website at www.psihq.ie