If you suspect that your child has dyslexia you should:

  • Contact the child’s teacher/school, which may agree that a problem exists.
  • Have the child’s hearing and sight tested to ensure that there are no acuity problems.

You should arrange for an Educational Psychology Assessment with a qualified educational psychologist. This can be done in a numbers of ways.

  1. Through NEPS – National Educational Psychology Service. This is done through the school. Each school has a limited number of free assessments each year through NEPS. Because of the limited number of free assessments only the children with the most severe problems are assessed.
  2. The Dyslexia Association of Ireland arranges Educational Psychology Assessments at our national office in Dublin. This is not a free service  Details can be found on their website http://www.dyslexia.ie
  3. There are also many independent private educational psychologists, throughout the country.  A list of registered psychologists can be obtained from the Psychological Society of Ireland’s website at www.psihq.ie